Pages

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Thought of the day...


In 1990, I met a girl – little did I know who this girl was let alone who she would become.
Her name was Philippa and she was my best buddy. We used to dress the same, talk the same and do everything together – others came and went, but we remained. A few years later, I had to move towns – thank goodness my grandparents stayed, so anytime I visited them I visited Phil too. She was an amazing horse rider (still is to this day), and we used to go riding occasionally together – her guiding me and my horse – always maintaining it was to keep us safe (I think now it was cos she loved her horses so much she wanted them to be ok with a new rider)… Then I moved again – this time further away. We still stayed in touch but it was less frequent than usual. We went through teenage years – still hanging out in the stable, when I visited and chatting about boys, life, dreams and futures etc. Then came uni – separate cities yet again – separate courses – separate lives – yet we still laughed and giggled like when we were 5 all those years before. I moved to London in 2007 and hadn’t been home in 3 years – when I returned Philippa was in another city so we missed our chance to catch up that time. But then I saw her for the first time in a few years last evening, and like always – nothing had changed. She still has that place of feeling like a best buddy, intertwined memories and a history no-one else knows the details of. Never remembering a bad moment – just pure laughter and joy. We really got up to mischief when we were younger and there are just too many stories to tell!
Of course whilst we have changed, and our lives have changed – we still seem to slot right back in to being those two little peas in a pod. Last night though was a little different– we giggled and laughed and included 2 others - our loves!
Filip and Ricky became special guests at one of our meetings and they indeedly fitted right in too.

Last night reminded me that real true good and genuine friends stay with you a lifetime. – does it take effort or work? Most relationships do – but when it’s real – it doesn’t ever feel like work. And with Philippa that’s exactly how it is.  Whilst we don’t talk everyday – we’re not the type of friends who have to email even once a month – we do have a close understanding and friendship. When she got engaged – she rang me in London, and we spoke for an hour at least – it simply just goes right back to the last time we talked and just continues on.

Relationships are quite possibly the most important thing to me – ensuring people know what they mean to me and maintaining true friendship – it’s truly the best thing. When Phil and Rick left – Filip said “What amazing and genuine people – so down to earth and good!” So true! I also believe you are who you are as a reflection of the people you choose to base yourself around – and having Rick and Phil think so highly of Filip – was the same good feeling that Filip’s praise of them was.  So the thought of the day is to enjoy the time you spend with your friends, however much or little  – and appreciate your friendships especially the ones that began so very long ago.

“The only thing better than making a new friend, and that is keeping an old one.” Elmer G. Letterman
Maybe we'll find matching dresses when we're older too....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment