Pages

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Madrid = Sunshine = ♥

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from Madrid. I knew obviously to expect the sunshine and the heat, but I was hesitant to fall in love with the place, as Italy is the place that has captured my heart previously, and I would feel unfaithful to really love Spain in the same way. But after visiting Barcelona, I knew Spain had something rather rare and unique to offer that would be different to Italy....I just didn't know exactly what it was Madrid would have to give.

Amazing Paella :)
Madrid most definitely is hot though! And that was just what the doctor had ordered for Filip and I. Our first day consisted of walking walking walking - we wanted to see everything. For me the number one thing - the paella, sangria (Restaurante Le Plaza de Chamberi), sunshine and architecture. AMAZING - it really feels like the nation's pride and joy within one city. Filled with the capital and country's finest, the buildings are big, beautiful and unique. It hosts wide avenues, many water fountains to feast your eyes upon and culture and art spread around the city in a dignified and unobnoxious way. It provides any visitor and/or local with stunning nature - the avenues and streets are lined with stunning trees leading you to the next cobble stoned avenue with enough to feast your eyes upon. Madrid oozed relaxation within a city of its size, and modern beauty which I wasn't expecting it to have in such fine form. The bars and cafes are open, bright and laid back, which again surprised me, being that Madrid is such a financial and busy hub. 


Our favourite place on Saturday was Piazza de Colon. Situated in the centre of the city with the buzz of the financial district on one side, and the shopping district on the other, it was an open space leading the way toward the Archaeological Museum and the National Library - utterly stunning headquarters. We walked past in the morning and HAD to return upon Filip's tour guiding in the afternoon (He siad he wanted to photograph the ginormous Spanish flag). Little did I know this was the place that would set the path for our future. We came across another 'penguin' set up and designed for charity sales all around the city, and after my famous last picture with the penguin, was greeted by a man on a knee taking my hand, presenting me with the most AMAZING thing I've ever seen in my life, and asking if I would be his for our years to come. Madrid became the backdrop for a proposal that brought tears (well more like massive emotional blubbering) to my eyes, and a complete joy and love in my heart that I will never forget. We had the Spanish flag, the art and history surrounding us, and looked toward our future in quite possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. 

Newly engaged!
The penguins....pre engagement


In front of our place - the library being in the background :)
Our engagement dinner restaurant :)






When we awoke on Sunday, Madrid took me on a brand new journey. I felt everything looked even more enticing and elegant than what it was the day before






We went down to the Parque del Retiro (so stunning!) and walked and explored, us both feeling we were in heaven and walking on Cloud 9. I always say sunshine makes everything better, but in this city everything glistens when the sun shines, and when happiness is in your heart.



Retiro Park :)
 

I feel I don't want to say any more, excpet that Madrid for me equalled sunshine and nothing but love. A historical moment to path a magnificent future. 
A pool is a must!
Engaged and celebrating on the way home

Madrid, you will now hold perhaps the most important place in my heart, and we look forward to visiting and exploring again soon. ♥

1 comment:

  1. So glad to be able to follow your happy lives together on your blog. You are a lovely couple. Congratulations, and best wishes for a lifetime of love and joy!

    ReplyDelete